Welcome to our Blog!

We are Jen and Marisa, graduate students at the University of Delaware and we LOVE food! So we decided to start a food blog as a fun and creative way to share our ideas and recipes. Enjoy :)

Monday, July 19, 2010

Roasted Vegetable Sandwich

To me, there are not many things that are as satisfying as a sandwich. No matter what you are in the mood for, there is probably a sandwich that would tickle your fancy. I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things, no real particular plan. I was getting my usual weekly vegetables of zucchini and yellow squash when I noticed how good the eggplants looked. Eggplant parm is my all-time favorite dish, so anything with eggplant sounds good to me. I had roasted a lot of vegetables last week as a side dish, so I thought mmmm roasted eggplant. Then I wandered by the bread selection and saw a fabulous loaf of sun-dried tomato and herb bread. A good bread is possibly the key to any sandwich. I decided I would make a roasted vegetable sandwich for dinner, so I picked up a red onion and a nice soft hunk of fresh mozzarella.

I roasted the vegetables with just some olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, and a little bit of italian seasoning. Once they were done, I brushed each side of the bread with a little more olive oil and let them crisp a little in the saute pan. Once the bread was done, I stacked the eggplant first, then squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and red onions. Then I topped the vegetables with a slice of fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of olive oil. Just looking at the finished product caused me to salivate. My first bite was nothing short of scrumptrelescent (thank you Will Ferrell). I have to say, I think the bread really made this sandwich, the crust was crispy and flavorful while the inside of it was delicate and airy. The earthy flavor of all the vegetables fit perfectly with the bread, the softness of the eggplant with the crunch of the red onion and then the creaminess of the mozzarella...mmm truly a magical bite. Now, when I sat down to eat I thought it would be pretty good, but after the first bite I was just in awe of the deliciousness of this sandwich. It was satisfying, wholesome, and flavorful. If you love roasted vegetables, you would love this sandwich.

1 comment:

  1. A genius combination, good hot or cold! Thanks for the inspiration :D

    ReplyDelete