Welcome to our Blog!

We are Jen and Marisa, graduate students at the University of Delaware and we LOVE food! So we decided to start a food blog as a fun and creative way to share our ideas and recipes. Enjoy :)

Monday, October 4, 2010

Apple Pie Pancakes...Breakfast of Champions!



So it's finally my favorite season - Fall. Nothing is better than crisp fall weather, warm sweaters, cute boots, and of course savory fall dishes. That being said, who doesn't like pancakes? No matter what time of year it is, pancakes are a timeless classic. If you don't like pancakes, I feel bad for you. My boyfriend is basically obsessed with pancakes, he might even love them more than he loves me. Just kidding, but seriously, he might. Anywho, one day he told me he put cinnamon in his pancake batter and it came out good, then I thought to myself how delicious it would be if you added some apple and cinnamon sugar to the mix and made apple pie pancakes. Thus, this recipe was born. So I went to the store and ended up buying a can of apple pie filling - possibly the best idea ive had in a while, along with a spice container of cinnamon and sugar. First we mixed up the batter (the just add water from Aunt Jemima, it really is the easiest and tastes great), then we added the can of apple pie filling. I cut up the apples first though, because they are large slices, so chopped up into smaller pieces goes much better in the batter. Lastly, we added a bunch of cinnamon/sugar to give a nice apple pie flavor.
To cook the pancakes, I put a small dab of olive oil in the pan and then place the batter on top of it. The olive oil gives the edges a nice crisp but leaves the inside moist and fluffy. Once we were done cooking we dove right into these pancakes. They were thick and heavy - the goo from the apple pie filling had moistened the batter even more and given the pancakes a very cake-like consistency. These pancakes were seriously amazing. They were very very filling though so I recommend eating them once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment