Welcome to our Blog!

We are Jen and Marisa, graduate students at the University of Delaware and we LOVE food! So we decided to start a food blog as a fun and creative way to share our ideas and recipes. Enjoy :)

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Blueberry Muffin Smoothie



We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it gets you going and wakes you up! That being said, I am not much of a morning person so most of the time my main motivation for getting out of bed is what I am going to eat for breakfast. A runny egg and cheese on toast? Greek yogurt and honey? Pancakes? Oatmeal? Oh the possibilities. Being as busy as I am, it is sometimes a challenge to eat before I leave the house. Sure it's easy to go to DD and grab a bagel or a donut, but I like to start my day off on a healthy note to give me plenty of energy. This one day I was running a little late, I decided to try a place on campus, the cereal bowl. I had always been a bit curious about it and thought it would offer some smart healthy, yet delicious, breakfast choices. Turns out, I was correct. I quickly looked over the menu and noticed some seasonal specials, one being a Blueberry Muffin Oatie, a mixture of frozen yogurt, milk, blueberries, oats, and maple syrup. After my first sip, I was hooked. I went back many many times for this oatie. Then it occured to me I could probably save a few bucks by making my own, so I created my own version of this delicious creamy way to start your day!

Blueberry Muffin Smoothie:

1 1/2 c fat-free vanilla bean frozen yogurt (i use the turkey hill kind)
2/3 c skim milk
1/3 c fresh blueberries (or more, depending on how you want it)
1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1 packet french vanilla carnation instant breakfast
1 tblsp maple syrup



Throw it all in the blender and blend until smooth and creamy! Depending on what consistency you like your smoothies, you can add more or less milk. I added the instant breakfast to include some more protein and add some more creamy vanilla flavor. If you feel you don't want the extra protein, feel free to leave it out, either way it is going to be delicious! You can also experiment with many more flavors of this smoothie. Turkey hill makes a honey granola frozen yogurt as well and you can add any fruit you wish, get creative :)

No comments:

Post a Comment